Skip to main content

Valravn Zinfandel (Sonoma) 2017

 


First impression is a subdued bouquet on an almost inky dark black cherry hue.  Loads of savory spices edge their way through the yet too cold wine brought up from my temp. controlled cellar. Cigar ash, with loads of Dark cranberry and minerals at the outset. 

Palate--Intense dark fruit with gentle tannins, a touch weak structure, rather simple, a fleeting finish.


This is a 20 megaton fruit bomb which a lot of wine people don't care for or at least they say they don't... (Insert snide looking smirk here) A super fruity, rich, uncomplicated wine seems to be anathema to some trying to be "wine aficionados."  I DO understand the legitimate sentiments on this point but they fail on the fact that that people like what they LIKE! I am confident that the majority of people who might taste a classic wine with some age on it would not want a second glass.  What I would say to give perspective is that a ton of people love Thomas Kinkade "art."  But to a "real" artist, Kinkade's works are on par with white Zinfandel.  BUT THAT'S A MATTER OF PREFERENCE so if you like Kinkade, buy Kinkade!  

Does that mean that one cannot learn to appreciate and indeed LOVE a more complex wine crafted over many centuries of family history, aged, and caressed and released with pride?  The paintings of Monét for example are lovely to behold over and over again and yet Kinkade has some captivating works with his unique way of capturing light.  But Kinkade will never come close to commanding the prestige of a Monet for a reason.  But why put a Monét (a copy of course) in your home if you love Kinkade's style?  That would be silly.  

I have been studying wine since the mid 70's and have tasted untold hundreds/thousands? over that time and I like what I like.  My very best wine to date was a 1996 Chateau Leoville las Cases costing around $350.  It was surreal with multiple layers of emerging aromas, a texture that defies explanation and flavors that change with each sip. But I LOVE Zinfandel, which may run you around $50 for the best and that would be unusual.  And I can't afford that for a bottle of wine so...  I love a good fruit bomb!  And I love a 45 year old Oporto. Buy what you like, drink what you like--end of story!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We've moved!

After a few year hiatus from my "real" wine blog, you can now find my reviews at the winecask.blogspot.com  I started this blog many years ago and was ranked the #8 wine blog on the world wide web.  I am a regular guy with a very limited wallet so I drink what you drink with rare exceptions. So scoot on over there, follow me if you want short, no non sense wine info.  Raise a glass!

Pure Bred (Old Vine) Zinfandel Lodi 2017

Very light hue with a unique aroma (slight) at the side rim of dill pickle juice which is intriguing. Zin aromas of wild berries, not over powering but pleasant, with a touch of rustic zinfulness.  (OK that was cheesy!) Palate--There's a watery first impression but is quickly engulfed in big Zin fruitiness which is quickly fleeting leaving a pleasant lingering gentle berry goodness with a slightly "green" end. OK, I am the Zin maestro having had more zins in my life than possibly all other varietals combined?  Well, if not, I am getting there.  Zin is my grape. And here is the get a grip factor; this sells for $6.50 from Trader Joes, nuff said. Face it, I can't drink Turley, or Rosenblum single vineyard zins everyday (or even every week) so if you're having the gang over and want a light hearted red for those who insist they don't like red wine, give them I bit of this and see what happens.  At this price, I'll raise a glass.  Thanks MB :)

M.Chevallier Carte Noire BRUT

Very pale yellow hue with nice, tiny bubbles and ample aromas of strong lemony citrus. Palate--Off dry fruity (cava) from Spain and a Trader Joes pick.  This is a nice $9 sparkler from TJ's.  Freixnet is my fave inexpensive Cava and the TJ's guy saw me hunting.  He suggested and I grabbed one.  Glad I did.  Certainly a "raise a glass"kind of wine, chilled down with seafood, grilled salmon, appetizers and just about anything really.  I'll be snagging more.