Skip to main content

Tres Sabores Napa Zinfandel 2013

Image result for Tres Sabores Napa Zinfandel 2013
Dried cherry hue with some age showing at the rim with aromas of spicy cherry, cocoa, brioche, and slight blueberry bouquet above the rim.

Palate--Unduly tart, puckery tannins, tart pie cherry flavor, and a lip smacking finish with a hint of cocoa on the end.

This is an odd Zin with uncharacteristic bouquet and palate as well.  If I didn't know better I would be more inclined to think this was a grenache and not a very well made one at that. 

I paid $21 for this unknown to me Zin and for the price I expected a lot more out of it than what I got.  Given its age, it should be at its prime.  I was close to considering taking this back to the store but since I got it with a gift card, I figure I'll bear with it. Not a pleasant wine, not corked, and not over the hill, just awkward. The Wine Enthusiast gave this a 94 out of 100 which is insane for the wine I am drinking which makes me think this is flawed.  But honestly, with 40 years of wine experience and being a Zinfandel aficionado to boot I can't go there.  It's just not a good Zin so beware.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma Reichart Gewürztraminer 2020

*Label is for their Riesling not their Gewurztraminer Pale straw hue with loads of sweet aromas consisting of vanilla, citrus, tropical fruit with a lime splash. Palate--mouth watering acid, mouth filling tropical fruit, lime base, with sweet-tart freshness  This $10 Gewürztraminer literally "Spicy Traminer" is one of my favorite German grapes and under appreciated much in the way German Riesling is. If you can get past the name, it's a lovely wine that pairs with Asian foods, spicy foods, or all by itself so raise a glass!

Sardon 2017 (Quinto Sardonia)

Vibrant plum purple hue with aromas of a spicy floral bouquet, sweet red hard cherry candies, sweet cream on the edges. Palate--Great first impression of joyful candied red fruit, and pink/orange colored circus peanut marshmallow(?) candy. This blend of primarily Tempranillo, with Malbec, Garnacha, and Cab Sauv. is a bit atypical for Tempranillo with delightful flavors of sweet cherry cream, a nice spicy beam of light red fruit and a finish of more candied flavors. Do NOT mistake my description with all the "sweet" adjectives as if this wine is actually sweet, it isn't.  It is extremely fruity, lighter bodied, well made and really quite spectacular.  It will do well with my grilled pork chops! At the $18 price point it is a real treat so raise a glass! 

Barrel Heist Cabernet Sauvignon 2019

  Lighter hued cranberry color with aromas of sweet red berries and dried red fruit with a touch of spice.      Palate--Fruit forward, easy to quaff with soft tannins, and a simple pleasant all around red.  Just don't confuse this with a "real" cabernet Sauvignon.  At $7 (Trader Joe's) let's get real... It's better than two buck chuck!