Skip to main content

elements Zinfandel (Sonoma County) 2013

Artesa Winery Elements Zinfandel, Sonoma County | prices, stores ...
Slightly bricked plum and garnet hue with aromas of too much alcohol, skewing the fruit that is there. Rustic, crushed, dried black berries, with a fresher fruit scent above the rim.

Palate--Baked dark berry pie as first impression, on a juicy foundation with a robust beam of intense and thickish fruit cream with an underlying blueberry note. 

I grabbed this today at a State liquor store that I frequent when I am out of town. It was $8 from a list price of $24 on what the store calls their "Outlet Buster Buys." Occasionally their ridiculously low prices are due to a wine being very close to it's perceived "end of life" but still enjoyable. Others are just unreal bargains. This one made a three hour trip home being jostled around which really can effect a wine.  On top of this it is much too warm when I poured it. 

I only bought three bottles which I may regret but for now the jury may be out. *I will review another in a few days when it has come to a better temp in my cellar and has relaxed.  Right now I am optimistic that it's a keeper! 

*I am finishing the bottle reviewed here 24 hours later. A better temp. but not thrilled with the bouquet at this point.  Still tastes decent but not impressive.  I will review the next bottle I open as I do ofdten times with a new wine to me.  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emma Reichart Gewürztraminer 2020

*Label is for their Riesling not their Gewurztraminer Pale straw hue with loads of sweet aromas consisting of vanilla, citrus, tropical fruit with a lime splash. Palate--mouth watering acid, mouth filling tropical fruit, lime base, with sweet-tart freshness  This $10 Gewürztraminer literally "Spicy Traminer" is one of my favorite German grapes and under appreciated much in the way German Riesling is. If you can get past the name, it's a lovely wine that pairs with Asian foods, spicy foods, or all by itself so raise a glass!

Sardon 2017 (Quinto Sardonia)

Vibrant plum purple hue with aromas of a spicy floral bouquet, sweet red hard cherry candies, sweet cream on the edges. Palate--Great first impression of joyful candied red fruit, and pink/orange colored circus peanut marshmallow(?) candy. This blend of primarily Tempranillo, with Malbec, Garnacha, and Cab Sauv. is a bit atypical for Tempranillo with delightful flavors of sweet cherry cream, a nice spicy beam of light red fruit and a finish of more candied flavors. Do NOT mistake my description with all the "sweet" adjectives as if this wine is actually sweet, it isn't.  It is extremely fruity, lighter bodied, well made and really quite spectacular.  It will do well with my grilled pork chops! At the $18 price point it is a real treat so raise a glass! 

Barrel Heist Cabernet Sauvignon 2019

  Lighter hued cranberry color with aromas of sweet red berries and dried red fruit with a touch of spice.      Palate--Fruit forward, easy to quaff with soft tannins, and a simple pleasant all around red.  Just don't confuse this with a "real" cabernet Sauvignon.  At $7 (Trader Joe's) let's get real... It's better than two buck chuck!